Chennai is the capital city and seat of power of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, which has been the home of the Tamil language for more than 2,000 years. If not for its present merits, the city is worth paying a visit to just to be in the presence of a culture and a language that predates even the Roman Empire.
What is so special about Chennai?
Home to temples, dosa and beaches, it is also a place where history has been made. Here are 10 things unique to wonderful Chennai. Chennai has many beautiful beaches — Besant Nagar, Thiruvanmiyur, Covelong and more. However, the Marina Beach gains prominence as it is the world’s second largest urban beach.
Why is Chennai awesome?
There are plenty of options and a bustling nightlife scene, but there’s so much else to do an extremely vibrant live music scene, both traditional and western, a very active theatre scene, great places to eat a huge variety of food or just sit and have coffee and, of course, the beach!
What is Chennai India known for?
5 things that Chennai is well-known for
- The local food. Chennai is known for the Ambur Biryani. …
- Marina beach. Marina beach is among the most popular beaches in Chennai. …
- The coffee culture. Chennai is known for its coffee. …
- The Temples. Chennai is well known for its temples all over the country. …
What is famous to buy in Chennai?
The Best Places to Buy Souvenirs in Chennai
- Chennaigaga. One of the most popular items you can get when it comes to souvenirs is graphic t-shirts. …
- Spencer Plaza. …
- Dakshinachitra. …
- Poompuhar. …
- Old Curiosity Shop on Mount Road. …
- CHAYA – Tanjore Art & More. …
- Artefacts from Mahabalipuram.
What food is famous in Chennai?
Street food of Chennai
- Idli and Sambhar, a common dish in Chennai.
- Dosai Chutney Hotel Saravana Bhavan.
- Onion Tomato Uttapam.
- Pongal with chutney,sambar,vada.
- Vada sambar chutney.
- Milagaai Bajji or Chilli Bhajji.
- Pista Kulfi.
Which sweet is famous in Chennai?
Moving on to the desserts
- Mysore Pak. Mysore Pak is a sweet dish prepared in butter with generous amounts of ghee, sugar, gram flour and often cardamom. …
- Payasam. There are several varieties of Payasam, which include rice payasam, sevai payasam, paruppu payasam. …
Is Chennai a developed city?
Chennai is the third city and another metro city of India from south India in this list. … Chennai is ranked 93rd among most developed city according to GDP in world.
Is Chennai good place to live?
Chennai is well known as the biggest cultural, economic, and educational center of South India. … Having all these varied options of job opportunities makes Chennai one of the best cities to settle down in India. Compared to other big metropolitan cities, Chennai has a comparatively affordable cost of living.
Can I wear shorts in Chennai?
Don’t ever wear anything too short or revealing in Chennai, if you don’t want to be petrified with excruciating glares of the people. No matter how tempted you are to free yourself off the clothing baggage, drop the idea and dress wisely and decently!
Is Chennai safe for female?
The police on Wednesday said Chennai was a safe city, especially for women and children, going by the 2017 National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) data. … According to a press release, as per the NCRB data, the city continued to be the safest metro for women.
Is Chennai expensive?
Summary about cost of living in Chennai, India: Family of four estimated monthly costs are 1,228$ (91,429₹) without rent. A single person estimated monthly costs are 349$ (25,945₹) without rent. Chennai is 73.50% less expensive than New York (without rent).