There is no national language in India. There are various official languages in India at the state/territory level. However, 343(1) of the Indian constitution specifically mentions that, “The official language of the Union shall be Hindi in Devanagari script.
What are the 22 official languages of India?
1) Assamese, (2) Bengali, (3) Gujarati, (4) Hindi, (5) Kannada, (6) Kashmiri, (7) Konkani, (8) Malayalam, (9) Manipuri, (10) Marathi, (11) Nepali, (12) Oriya, (13) Punjabi, (14) Sanskrit, (15) Sindhi, (16) Tamil, (17) Telugu, (18) Urdu (19) Bodo, (20) Santhali, (21) Maithili and (22) Dogri.
Is English India official language?
List of Official Scheduled Language of India. According to the Eighth Schedule of the Indian Constitution, 22 languages have been chosen to be the scheduled language of India. Hindi and English are the official languages.
Which language is oldest in India?
Sanskrit (5000 years old)
Sanskrit is a widely spoken language in India. Almost all the ancient manuscripts of Hindusim, Jainism and Buddhism were written in this language.
Which is the oldest language in world?
Seven oldest surviving languages in the world.
- Tamil: Origin (according to first appearance as script) – 300 BC. …
- Sanskrit: Origin (according to first appearance as script) – 2000 BC. …
- Greek: Origin (according to first appearance as script) – 1500 BC. …
- Chinese: Origin (according to first appearance as script) – 1250 BC.
Which language is known as Queen of script?
Kannada had a huge boost during the Vijayanagar period. Shri Vinoba Bhave called “Kannada” script the “Queen of World Scripts” – “Vishwa Lipigala Raani”.
Which state official language is English in India?
List of official languages of states of India
What are the 11 official languages?
South Africa’s Constitution recognises 11 official languages: Sepedi (also known as Sesotho sa Leboa), Sesotho, Setswana, siSwati, Tshivenda, Xitsonga, Afrikaans, English, isiNdebele, isiXhosa and isiZulu. For centuries South Africa’s official languages were European – Dutch, English, Afrikaans.
What are the top 3 languages spoken in India?
More than one million speakers
|Rank||Language||2011 Census of India (total: 1,210,854,977)|