The Indian Drainage System is divided into 3 categories: (1) Major River Basin with catchment area up to 20000 sq. km. and above, accounts for 83% of the total run off and are 13 in number in India.
What is the drainage system of India?
Indian drainage system consists of a large number of small and big rivers. … The Himalayan drainage system includes the Ganga, the Indus and the Brahmaputra river basins. The peninsular plateau is drained by Narmada, Tapi, the Mahanadi, the Godavari, the Krishna and the Kaveri.
How many drainage systems are there?
There are seven river systems in Karnataka which with their tributaries, drain the state.
Click here for the Basin map.
Is the largest drainage system in India?
Popularly known as the Dakshin Ganga, the Godavari is the largest peninsular river system.
Peninsular River System.
|Characteristics||Himalayan River||Peninsular River|
|Catchment area||Very large basin.||Relatively smaller basin.|
What are the two types of drainage system found in India?
The drainage system of India, that is, the rivers, is divided into two major groups:
- the Himalayan rivers.
- the Peninsular rivers.
What are the 4 types of drainage patterns?
- Dendritic drainage pattern.
- Parallel drainage pattern.
- Trellis drainage pattern.
- Rectangular drainage pattern.
- Radial drainage pattern.
- Centripetal drainage pattern.
- Deranged drainage pattern.
- Annular drainage pattern.
What are the types of drainage system?
There are two types of artificial drainage: surface drainage and subsurface drainage.
- 6.2. 1 Surface drainage. Surface drainage is the removal of excess water from the surface of the land. …
- 6.2. 2 Subsurface drainage. Subsurface drainage is the removal of water from the rootzone.
What are the 3 types of drainage?
Understanding the Types of Drainage Systems
- Surface Drainage System. Surface drainage systems remove excess water from the land’s surface through channels or ditches. …
- Subsurface Drainage System. Subsurface drainage systems are implemented beneath the top layer of soil. …
- Slope Drainage System. …
- Downspouts and Gutter Systems.
Which is the most preferred shape of drainage?
Explanation: The trapezoidal shape is the most preferred shape of the drainage because of it’s simplicity and ease.
Which is the longest river in India?
At over three thousand kilometers long, the Indus is the longest river of India. It originates in Tibet from Lake Mansarovar before flowing through the regions of Ladakh and Punjab, joining the Arabian Sea at Pakistan’s Karachi port.
Which city has best drainage system in India?
Drainage and sewage system are other problem areas in New Delhi. There is no proper mechanism for waste material disposal during construction of real estate projects. Renowned as a city of palace, Mysuru has bagged the top position on the list of the top 10 cleanest cities in India.
What are the three physiological units of drainage of India?
India is divided into three distinct physiographic units viz: the Peninsular Shield, Extra Peninsula and Indo-gangetic plain . The study area forms a part of the middle reaches of the Yamuna river sub-basin of Ganga plain which itself constitutes a part of the Indo-gangetic plain.